Saturday, May 12, 2007

Mighty Oaks


Oaks is a great 'kid' dog. I think initially we were a little concerned she might be fearful of the boy and the babies, and at moments, she is. Like when H tries to ride her-- at three times her weight, he's a bit much to carry; when the babies grab her hair and yank, this hurts-- I know from experience, and when she thinks H is about to trip and fall over her-- a dance that occurs because she stands directly under him during all mealtimes.
But beyond those moments of terror, there is an extremely symbiotic relationship between our boys and our dog. Check out the photo above-- both babies are fascinated with Oaks, and she is fascinated with E's bum! H feeds Oaks most of his meals and what he doesn't offer, she helps herself to as soon as he's not looking. In my pre-parenting (more perfectionist days) I recall being appalled by even the notion of such carrying ons, but I think I've mellowed. I'm almost grateful for our little Hoover, Oaks.

No comments: